Tips on Skills Assessment for Software Engineering
The following are the key points needs to be considered on skills assessment:
- Coding practice – Finish up the book Clean Coding and apply every time you code
- Unit Testing
- More Design Patterns and their Usage – Head First Design Patterns
- System Architecture – Learn to technically discuss system architectures using diagrams (e.g: UML)
- Breaking down tasks into granular pieces and putting in the required time for each, adding User Acceptance Criteria, etc.
- Try out different databases, both SQL (postgres, mysql, mssql) and NoSQL (MongoDb, MariaDb, etc..)
- Continuous Integration and Deployment – Integration (development) to Staging (QA) and Staging (QA) to Production (LIVE)
- Create multiple side projects to build on your skills with the above listed things
- Try socket.io to build a chatting app or some real-time pushing of data back and forth
- What is the program trying to solve?
- what us the spec of the program?